Cop Killing and Intimate Partner Violence. The new daytime staples? Remember when it was considered a bad thing to try to kill a police officer? I do! GH use to call those people CRIMINALS engaging in criminal behavior – not ‘survivors’ trying to defend their lives and teach ‘rat undercover cops’ a lesson. Port Chuckles law enforcement use to arrest, try, and convict attempted cop killers! I also remember when doctors who saved lives had no patience for the criminals who tried to take them:
I do have some praise for GH writers. Robin and Patrick held nothing back in their scenes with Sonny, yesterday! The THUD you heard during those scenes was me hitting the floor. It took me a while to get up, I must admit… it’s hard to pull yourself back up off the ground and wipe flowing tears at the same time. Patrick slapped down Sonny’s idiotic excuse that Dante would never have been shot if people like Patrick hadn’t helped Olivia lie and had instead told Sonny the truth. It’s Patrick who had to enlighten the dark Prince (er, the other dark Prince, with all due deference to Prince Dikolas Cassadine) that Dante wouldn’t have been shot if Sonny hadn’t pulled the trigger… Awwwwww…RELIEF! I was sure my head would explode if Sonny was allowed to tell that deluded lie just one more time without a cogent response! Could you image Sonny surviving the Robert Scorprio-WSB/Luke Spencer era? It would never have happened. Robert helped take down the DXV, for pity’s sake! Sonny would have been child’s play and to suggest otherwise would be, at best, a joke. Sonny’s ensured survival seems to explain why Robert couldn’t be kept on a viable character. To keep Robert around would mean that Luke would have to return to his anti-hero ways rather than remain the disinterested, self-serving, preserve-thine-own-ass shell of a character he’s become.
In case you’re wondering who the dark haired ‘gentleman’ is who rolled Luke into the cafeteria, it’s DL Brock, Bobbie Spencer’s murdered ex husband… and abuser. He is potentially an indirect linchpin between the old GH, the REAL GH, and a storyline that’s currently playing out on the new GH. Wouldn’t it be nice to make use of Bobbie’s history with Brock to have her figure out that Kristina in danger? The most the writers have ever managed to do is to remind the audience, whenever a little ‘tension’ was needed that Bobbie was once a hooker (though they’ve never seemed to make repeated use of Luke’s involvement in helping to pimp his underage sister). I think the writers could get much more mileage out of Bobbie’s past as a survivor, and possibly move toward an Emmy nomination for a useful storyline rather than the dreck they keep being nominated for (shame on you Emmy panel). Bobbie has gone on to free herself of her abuser, marry a man who loved her, raised children, moved up in her career, and regained control of her life.
- What a gift it would be to Kristina to have Bobbie not only recognize the signs, but to be her guiding force out of her abusive relationship with Kiefer. Sonny’s involvement would be crude, violent, angry, and far more unrealistic than having Bobbie be there to help Kristina tell her mother, Alexis, the truth about her dating experiences.
- What a gift it would be to Molly, for her big sister to show her that you should never stay with a person who violates you and hurts you. Intimate Partner Violence is never about love… EVER.
- What a gift it would be to Kiefer for a fearless Bobbie to go knocking on his father’s door and tell him what kind of young man he’s raising, and what Kiefer’s future looks like if he doesn’t get the help he so desperately needs.
- What a gift it would be to real life survivors to have Kiefer actually do it, knowing he can never return to Kristina, but that he lessens the probability of making some other woman a victim of IPV because he’ll learn to take control of and responsibility for his actions.
- What a gift it would be to the audience to have Kiefer’s family in therapy, figuring out where the violence comes from and learning how to stop it for all their sakes. Recriminations (self and other), family secrets that lead to new storylines, and reconciliation could be exciting and give GH new directions of growth if handled right.
Rather than have a man run in and ‘save the day’, it would be a gift to fans for GH writers to finally empower their female charcter to save themselves. With a history as rich as this show’s history is, it’s a crime against The Arts to bury GH’s past as if it has not connection to it’s present or future. Writers, you’ve explored almost every possible angle there is on the mob storyline. Isn’t it time to make room for something else?