You’ll feel as if you’ve died and gone to ‘old-GL’ heaven if you watched! Ignore the sets (for now), they’re still a downer, but everything else is kicking into high gear. What a difference a few weeks makes. Several weeks ago, I’d written about what’s wrong with GL. Little could viewers have known that GL would launch the most aggressive plan to revive a soap than we’ve seen from any daytime drama! While TPTB behind the scenes at Days Of Our Lives are dismantling one of daytime’s longest running serials, the geniuses at Guiding Light are rebuilding (and oh yes, Icalled them genuises – without snarking).
Five reasons to watch, and in no particular order:
1. Phillip Spaulding and Melinda Sue Lewis return. I listed them together because I can’t help but believe that the two of them will have signifcant screen time together. Returning at the same time couldn’t be a coincidence!
Phillip, the Spaulding family scion, flexible good guy/bad guy character, all around hot-as-hades heartthrob, what’s not to love? It’s hard to believe that the writers let him go in the first place, and that he’s been away five years now. The only two people who’ve ever been able to stop Alan are Phillip and Alex and the writers sadly did away with both. Bringing Phillip back opens a world of possiblity for GL, but also puts an end to Alan’s reign of terror.
Just in time! The writers were beginning to create a savage Alan Spaulding, one hardly worth watching as he became a caricature of his former self. While I’ve had zero sympathy for Beth and Coop’s indulgence in adolescent fantasies about love and life, there’s nothing fun about watching Alan force Beth to give up her burgeoning law career to stay home and mother him AND their daughter. Soapgod knows it’s time for Beth to do something with her life other than flit from affair to affair. It was even less enjoyable to watch him comment on the ‘marriage’ they would have, leaving fans to wonder if he was implying that they would have an intimate relationship whether she wanted one or not. He was a little too excited to describe their ‘honeymoon’, while she stood there in her bridal gown, crying and begging to be set free.
Could Alan even dream of competing with Phillip for Beth’s heart? Would he want to given how happy he’ll be, at first, to have Phillip return? Will he even have to compete for Beth with Mindy’s return? It’s just possible that Phillip will be as disappointed in Beth as he is in Alan? Mindy’s return may be the beginning of the rekindling of the Beth/Phillip/Mindy triangle, with Beth on the outside, looking in. After all this time, Mindy finally gets the upper hand and no dirty tricks involved? I’d love it! Now that Beth is the bitch goddess Mindy had always suspected she was, let the fireworks begin!
(Oh, and by the way, watching Beth reject the use of the name Spaulding was a shocker in light of Phillip’s return – not that she knows that onscreen, but the writers know it so I have to wonder why they’ve decided to have her do it. She screamed that her name was ‘Raines’, not ‘Spaulding’. Veteran viewers may remember that Bradley Raines was Beth’s stepfather. The man raped Beth, and beat her and her mother. That she would reject the Spaulding name for that of Bradley’s left me stunned. Hopefully that’s the beginning of a new storyline – one in which a troubled Beth tries to figure out why she’s such a trainwreck.
2. Edmund’s Return. As stated earlier, Edmund has been humanized, and every day he’s on air, the character’s presence tells a new story. Edmund’s behaviors and connections to others are even more nuanced this time around. Is he just conning everyone? Are his emotions genuine? It’s hard to say. I’m not especially fond of Dinah and Shayne as a couple even if they’re growing on me, so having Edmund’s daughter, Lara, return wouldn’t be a tragedy. Lara’s return would do more than break up Shayne and Dinah. It would give us a chance to see more of Edmund’s growth. She seems to be the first person in his life that he would/could love unconditionally and I’m curious about what effect her presence would have on Edmund. Would he become a good guy? NOT HARDLY! My guess is that most of his new dastardly deeds would be related to protecting his daughter – and possibly spark a Winslow-Lewis war.
3. The Lewis Clan is BACK! They’re back in a big way. I think most fans want the obvious, Josh and Reva – GL’s epic soul mates back together again. What fans are also getting is the slow rebuilding of the Lewis family all the way around. Billy and Vanessa are lurking in the shadows, occasionally stepping to the forefront. Between Reva, Josh, Billy, Vaness, Bill, Shayne, and Dinah (as Bill’s sister), we could end up with a healthy revival of the Lewis-Spaulding wars – adding Edmund to the Spaulding clan for good measure. It gives us a tortured Bill and Lizzie surviving a pretty tough year only to have to figure out how to continue loving one another while not getting too caught up in their respective family’s war.
4. The writing is just BETTER! Two words that will make you cringe: Kidnapping plot. How ridiculously senseless was it that Bill lost his memory, but it was Lizzie who seemed to forget every detail of the kidnapping and didn’t know if Bill was guilty or not? She spoke with her kidnapper, touched him, saw his dark hair, felt his tears (which should have left DNA of some sort in her clothing), noticed the difference in the builds between the kidnapper and Bill…but she just wasn’t sure if he was guilty… <sigh>
The writers could have redeemed her by having HER notice Cyrus’ dog tags clanking and realize that the kidnapper made a similar clanking sound. But hey, that Bill remembered? I’m good! I can roll with that. It’s time SOMEONE remembered something that would end this torture of Bill being falsely accused. That Bill plans to take Cryus down not realizing that Grady (who is taller than both men) was responsible? I’m good with that too! That Billy is involved and the father and son are working together? I’ve freakin’ died and gone to old-GL heaven! I can’t wait!
5. Romance is BACK on GL! Reva and Josh’s unintentional romantic glances, Olivia and Natalia’s road to romance, Remy and Christina’s too-cute-for-words marriage of convenience, Rick/Beth/Philip/Mindy potentially heating up, Dinah and Shayne’s oddball relationship, and even Buzz’s dreams of dead wife Jenna was more romantic than much of what’s happened on GL in a long time!
Any of the above points would have made me happy to be a GL viewer, to have them all at once? What an embarrassment of riches!