Defending My Maxelli love
I’m stunned (STUNNED I TELL YA’) when I read that there are fans who don’t like Maxelli (Maxie and Spinelli). I’m not so shocked about fans not liking Spinelli, alone, I think he’s been too closely linked to the mob boys and they breed contempt in many a GH fan. Winifred would never have lasted for the same reason – being too closely linked to Sonny and Jason. (Honestly, how could the writers have believed that fans would applaud a character who begins as an honest federal agent, but begins viewing her own government as “the evil” enemy because of a fascination with Spinelli that also made her prey to Sonny’s magical impregnating dimples, or Jason’s icy-but-honest–except-when-he’s-taking-a-life blank stares? I pretty much wanted her dead about a day after she arrived – figuratively speaking, of course.
What makes Maxelli so worthwhile as a couple is that they are the unexpected. GH writers have lost their ability to tell the unexpected storyline and I can only believe that Maxelli works by not by design, but by accident. I can only imagine that the positive fan response to Maxelli caught TPTB offguard or they would still be pushing a Maxie and Johnny. Matt and Maxi wouldn’t work for the same reason – too predictable. QUICK, which GH storyline below did you NOT see coming:
- Carly’s pregnancy with Jax is high risk. Can the man just have a child? Sonny’s impregnated half the town, mothers living or dead.
- Kristina is a terror, and Alexis is clueless. It’s been so long since the writers have allowed Alexis to have a clue.
- Michael is a sociopath in the making and wants to follow in Sonny and Jason’s footsteps. Yeah, yeah, Sonny’s comeuppance for taking advantage of vulnerable Jason… how about jail time as comeuppance, and not the innocence of the Quartermaine heir?
- Jason has been involved in a shoot out. Anyone keeping track of how many shootouts he’s been in? Aren’t we averaging at least two a year onscreen?
- Sonny is seemingly torn between two women (though he’d never seem to give Olivia much of a second thought before, now that she’s with Johnny Sonny is jealous. Maybe the unexpected is that there aren’t THREE women fighting over him?
- Nik is as dumb as a post and has fallen in love at the drop of a hat. He doesn’t realize that Remily is running a game. I remember a time when Nik wasn’t as dumb as a post. <sigh> We need more Nik-Alexis scenes in which they keep each other clued in to the lives around them. Nik has ignored Alexis’ warnings, DeadEm’s warnings, etc, etc, etc… Nik should start to realize that it’s only because of Alexis, and originally Helena, that he managed to not be taken for every penny he’s worth.
- Ethan and Remily are connected. Two cons who show up in PC at about the same time it Traci was the only truly suspicious one? Two ‘long losts’? What’s happened to the smart characters? What’s happened to writers who respected smart viewers?
I don’t just like/love Maxelli, I NEED them. Otherwise, GH is just more of the same crap, different year. Maxelli is not. This is another GH couple in which the weaknesses of one character is compensated for by the strengths of the other (GH’s Scrubs being the other). Spinelli is probably the most life-experience challenged character GH has ever created. He’s clueless about anything without a mother board or internet connection.
- [at the wedding of Lucky Spencer and Elizabeth Webber, March 23, 2007]
- Priest: Why do you think these two should not be joined?
- [Seeing that Lulu is about to object to the marriage, Spinelli quickly jumps in.]
- Spinelli [stumbling] : Marriage is out-dated. It’s a primitive remnant of a pre-computer age. Y’know, like, ‘With this ring until death do us part’? I mean, they’re arcane, archaic phrases with no real meaning. I mean, are they internet-compatible? I mean, y’know you could still be using dial-up, and she could be a high-speed chick. Are their servers in-synch??
- Lesley Webber: Who are you?
- Lulu Spencer [reluctantly] : He’s my boyfriend.
- Spinelli [plesantly surprised] : Really?
- Lucky Spencer: Grandma, what’d you put in the punch?
He trusts far too easily and is prey to his fantasies about the lives of others; which then makes sense of his over-the-top hero worship of the likes of Sonny and Jason. He identifies with them and their cohorts in the way a child identifies with outlandish childhood creatures, images from mythology… c’mon Carly ’the Valkyrie’? Stone Cold? The Blonde one? Unhinged one? Sir? His nicknames for Port Chuckles citizens reads like a comic book.
What Maxie gives to Spinelli is the benefit of her edginess. She’s jaded and as such she helps Spinelli see the world through more skeptical eyes. Maxie’s job isn’t to remove his innocent wonder, it’s to allow him to continue to express it, and to learn how to protect himself against the world. Spinelli’s role is to make the world a less threatening place for Maxie. She doesn’t have to plot and scheme to protect herself from those ‘out to get her’. Spinelli allows Maxie to take a step down from her delusions and fears. He makes her happy without asking her to ‘prove’ her joy through sex, or complete adoration. That makes him different from any other man she’s known. He just wants her to be who she is without the fear and anxiety dragging her down.
What about GH’s other couples?
While I’m not happy that SCRUBS is wasted on Matt Hunter, who I have ZERO interest in, their current storyline makes a hell of a lot more sense and is far easier to watch than the PPD storyline. Oddly enough, the writers are allowing GH’s gold standard couple to become involved in storylines that require INTELLECT… In the case of “The Death of the Mayor’s Mistress”, two highly educated people who care about something other than what happens to the lollipop mob? Count me IN! This feels like ‘old GH’, with a good bit of intrigue and possible danger. The Scrubs are splitting their time between home with Emma, work at GH, and solving this case to protect Matt. The writers totally screwed the audience on the PPD storyline. This is a nice start in making it up to fans. It’s the storyline they should have told after the Scrubs honeymoon, a storyline that continued to play off their wit, charm, intellect, and sexiness as a couple.
Johnny and Olivia? So far, there’s no depth, but that’s not what the couple is about. They’re a guilty pleasure and I accept them as such.
Diane and Max? Ditto.
Carly and Jax? Some days I believe that the writers intend for them to make it. Other times it feels as if the writers intend for Jax to be Sonny’s ‘placeholder’. I’m dying to see more scenes of this couple that don’t including Michael, Sonny, or Jason, and not even the mention of them. When the hell will Jax get back to being a corporate raider with his new partner, his wife.
Rebecca and Nik? I can’t tune them out fast enough. I’m waiting for technology that allows you to not only skip commercials, but skip scenes featuring specific characters. In my world, it’s as if they never existed. My world is a happy place.