Archive for June 23rd, 2009
Today’s GL is giving fans EXACTLY what they’ve deserved all along, intergenerational story telling that makes you want to tune in for more:
- The matriarchs of the Lewis/Spaulding-Raines clans getting together to pull off the ‘wedding of the century’. Bill Lewis and Elizabeth “Raines” Spaulding are getting married in 21 days… We know, because almost everyone on screen repeats that there were only 21 days left. The gathering of the matriarchs would have been PERFECT, if the following hadn’t happened: Vanessa, Alexandra, Beth, and Lillian plan the wedding of the century in Peapack/Springfield’s equivalent of a 7/11. I was distracted by the display of batteries and other point of sale merchandise on the checkout counter behind the cafeteria seats they were sitting in. What lousy product placement! It only made me think of making sure I had enough fresh batteries to FF through most of what’s airing on daytime right now. I also kept thinking about the beloved but bratty Vanessa Chamberlain and the stuffy and sophisticated Alex Spaulding who wouldn’t have been caught dead in a convenience store cafeteria. Even still, I was so grateful to see the four women on screen again that I decided I didn’t care too much about the product placement. A-
- Loved the glee-some foursome barging into Bill and Lizzie’s budget priced hotel room/suite and interrupting the happy couple who had to push back the covers to see who’d invaded their love nest. For the love of cheese, wouldn’t you just die if your grandmother and mother walked in while you were naked with your significant other? It would be even worse if they treated you as if you were simply having a play date with your little friend and told you to get dressed so they could get started on getting your wedding planned. A-
- Phillip/Alan/No-longer-adorable-James. Oh Alan! How could he have missed out on even the most BASIC tenet found in parenting books? Love your children and praise them when they do well. Ignore the misbehavior as much as you can. Alan simply LOVES Phillip now that Phillip has engaged in the felonious act of bribing a judge. He loves James even more, since James was indicted for running a Ponzi scheme. Nothing like encouraging your children and grandchildren to be the best they can be! B+
- Billy threatening to make James ‘sleep with the fishes’if he does anything else to hurt Bill or Lizzie, and then having James run to Alan to tell him about the threat because he thinks it’s ‘funny’. Those two scenes made me hope that there was enough time left for the writers to do one of two things: Split Spaulding-Lewis, making them TWO companies as they should have been all along, and let the corporate wars begin. I’ve missed the corporate infighting and would love to see things end, if they must, with the Spauldings and Lewises continuing their friendly war. If not? My second option is to have Lizzie join the Spaulding Clan, along with Phillip, and have them make Alan and James powerless and miserable… for now at least. B+
- Billy… Billy… Billy… how lovely that he alone saw the overwhelmed look on Lizzie’s face and tried to have the glee-some foursome let Lizzie decide on how to plan her own wedding. Billy has always been a bear (sometimes cuddly, sometimes grizzly). It was so sweet. The problem is that he should have known! They shot him down so fast poor Billy’s head started spinning. A (hell, it’s Billy!)
- Did anyone know that Alex has always had the fantasy of running off to Vegas and getting married by an Elvis impersonator? WOW! Cyrus was a close to a Vegas wedding as Alex was going to get. More importantly? Forget point one… I can easily see Vegas Alex hanging out in a convenience store planning a wedding. B-
- Billy and Vanessa? ’nuff said! If the writers give us the ‘beach wedding’ for the couple that Vanessa mentioned, along with Reva and Josh, Olivia and Natalia, Beth and Phillip, Buzz and Lillian, Blake and Frankie, Mel and Rick… well, I promise to not refer to them as the writing team that sent GL to its early death… OR I’ll at least I’ll promise to TRY to not refer to them that way. A
- Alan shooting basketball with James? Uh, SURE! It’s as conceivable as my vegetarian sister downing a double cheeseburger. So contrived… but i enjoyed it anyway. B.
- Phillip turning to Ed for medical help? I’m actually shocked that the writers chose such an organic storyline to bring Ed back to town. I don’t know how the rest of the storyline will play out. B+
- Reva and Marina growing closer. I’m enjoying the developing friendship between Marina and Reva. They’re mothers of young infants and have long respected one another – Marina as Shayne’s ex-girlfriend and now Marina is the mother of Shayne’s child. I’ve been trying to figure out if the writers are setting Marina up to be the target of Reva’s ire when she finds out that her son and Marina have hidden the fact that Marina unknowningly adopted Shayne’s believed dead child. I’ve gotta admit, I want to know more! B+
By and large, there are still so many things wrong with GL that there’s not enough room to list them all. The individual pieces work, but as a continuous thread there’s something faulty about the show. I’m torn between thinking that I won’t even miss this show when it’s gone, to still being angry that it’s over. What about you?